Saturday, June 11, 2011

11 Tools #7-Online Digital Projects

This year I plan to use Skype to bring more experts in to share their knowledge with my class. I hope to implement this early on in the year by beginning with Skyping with other classrooms within my school to set up practice time. This will help to model the expectations I have for the students before we get to our bird project the 4th 9 weeks.
For the final collaborative project my class will Skype with another classroom about their Bird Projects.
They will begin with using Google Docs to collect their research notes, write their rough draft, submit to me and then complete their Final Report.
After their Bird Presentations they will Skype with another classroom about their bird. I think that the format a teammate of mine used this year was a great way to organize the discussions. She and the other teacher grouped students by types of birds--birds of prey, song birds, etc. Then each group had a time to discuss their birds with the other class.
I look forward to developing this lesson over the year and finding a classroom outside of my school that would like to participate with us.

1 comment:

RCELibrarian said...

We'll have to expand Theresa's idea and move forward. We'll need to brainstorm a list of people to talk to. I just visited with my son-in-law....he is willing to talk with students. When we get the Oliver Foundation work going...we'll need to skype with resturants, chefs and more....our field trips will be out of the school...but still at RCE! You are so on the ball!