Thursday, June 9, 2011

11 Tools #3- Video and Image Resources

I have used YouTube, TeacherTube, and SchoolTube in my classroom the last few years. There are many great videos on all. I do search for the videos before hand -especially on YouTube to make sure the content is appropriate before showing the students. I had not used KidTube before, I can see this being a great resource for our students that enjoy making movies and wanting a safe place to upload and share their work.
I've sent links to videos to help parents when they have asked me for explainations on how to help their child at home for example this video on subtraction with regrouping:

Traditional News Sources have resources have great up to date information. Just like this short clip about the new "My Plate" that is taking the place of the food pyramid.


I love Discovery Education because it is really easy to search for videos, clips and images not only by topic but also narrowing down the search by age/grade making sure the information is appropriate for my 2nd graders. Also you are able to download/view an entire video or can download only the clip that is relevant to what I'm teaching. This saves me time since I don't have to cut the video myself or spend time fast forwarding the video.

I have used Picasa Web Albums and Photobucket for my Technology lessons the past two years to search for images. As well as used Picasa Web Albums for my personal photos. Discovery Ed. also has great still images.

It is important for the students to understand the importance of Copyright and Fair Use.
Because of the information and resources you can find on the web this is more and more important to understand what this means. This is sometimes difficult to get 2nd graders to understand what it means and why it is important to site your resources. I explained to my students that if they wrote or created something they wouldn't want someone to take it without their permission. I asked them why they wrote their name on all of their work. The answers of course included- "so you know it is mine", "Because I wrote it", etc. Exactly! This is why you should always site your sources and respect the copyrights of others. I think it made a little more sense to them when I had them think about their own work.

1 comment:

Meg Hansen said...

I use YouTube and Discovery Education in my classroom quite a bit. I love Discovery Education because it enables you to make sure the content is on grade level. You definately have to be careful using YouTube! I have not tried KidTube, but I plan on doing some browsing to see what I could use in my classroom.