Saturday, June 11, 2011

11 Tools #10- Digital Citizenship

I want my students to understand and keep the following in mind when using technology:
  • Always use kind words and treat others how you wish to be treated
  • Don't email, write down, or post anything that you don't want everyone to see/read. (from the words of my father "If you wouldn't want it on the front page of the paper then don't share/write it down")
  • If you aren't sure about something being appropriate it probably isn't, if it is a question about a website always ask a teacher or parent before clicking!
  • Don't ever give out your personal information!
I would use the videos and quizzes on BrainPop to help teach digital citizenship. They are short and to the point. Many of these can be worked into different subject areas as well. The videos on Internet research and on plagiarism will be good to use when starting our research projects. The ones on Cyberbullying can be worked into our Character Education lessons. There are also ways to differentiate the instruction on BrainPop with the various follow up activities.

The best way to teach anything is through modeling and also being aware of what the students are doing. As they gain more knowledge they gain more responsibility and flexibility. The only way to teach them is through doing. There is so much out there now for the kids, many are wonderful resources, however there is so much that is very inappropriate for them as well. I do believe that the only way is to teach them the responsibility that is needed. They can't fully understand that if everything is blocked to them. There also needs to be some common expectations at school AND at home. This will make the expectations more clear and easily understandable to the student.

I always begin the year with clear expectations for the students. I share these expectations with the parents during open house and also in a handout in case a parent doesn't make it to open house. This year I'm going to use the video  Too Much Information that I found through my Librarian's blog to begin my digital Citizenship and expectations to the parents.

2 comments:

RCELibrarian said...

WOW! You zoomed through...so proud of you!
I have a whole page with links to all kinds of activities to support you as you facilitate digital citizenship!
Great JOB!!!

Baconator said...

Wow! I love your blog and I enjoyed reading your posts and checking out your links! You rock, as always.