Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Thing #1 Registration

I decided to continue with the same blog I had from 23 Things.
I've already emailed my information and registered on PDLC so here we go...

After watching the video I had to take a little while to think how this relates with 1st grade. The reality is this is not a first grade student but what the first grade student will become later in his/her school career. This past school year was my first year teaching first grade after several years of Pre-K. I think I did a good job with integrating technology but made notes throughout the year how I could improve the following year.
Usually most of my students come to school with a very comfortable understanding of computers. There are a few that know how to work the mouse and play a game but do not have the understanding of booting up a computer, proper way to shut down, or how to navigate to the needed program. In order for my students to become a network students they need to first know the basics.
My thoughts from the video made me take a step back and think--in order to become a "Networked Student" what does the student need to learn first? By guiding my first graders through the proper use of computers, basics in learning to operate a computer and adding tools and programs when they are ready will help them become lifelong networked students. Only after building this foundation can they move on to more difficult tasks.

No comments: